What is Covaxin
Covaxin is an Indian vaccine developed by Bharat Biotech, a homegrown company in India. The vaccine is India’s first produced indigenous vaccine and is based on the inactivated virus technology, which is used to make other vaccines such as flu and rabies. The vaccine is aimed at protecting Indians from the COVID-19 virus.
The initial two doses of the vaccine were approved for clinical trials early on June 7th, 2020, and trials began from July 14th with over 20,000 individuals recruited from major hospitals throughout the nation. On January 1st 2021, the vaccine was given emergency use authorization by the regulator, making it the country’s first indigenously developed COVID-19 vaccine.
How Does Covaxin Work
Covaxin uses inactivated virus technology, which renders the virus in the vaccine incapable of replicating, thus preventing it from triggering an immune response from the body. The inactivated virus helps create an immunological response that prepares the body to fight the virus.
Essentially, when a person receives their shot of the vaccine, the body will not only recognize the virus through the inactivated form but also produce neutralizing antibodies and killer T cells. This will help the body recognize the virus and fight it off if the person is subsequently exposed.
The Benefits of Covaxin
As a native vaccine developed by Bharat Biotech, Covaxin has a number of benefits that make it an attractive option to protect oneself against the COVID-19 virus. It is important to understand that Covaxin’s inactivated virus technology is proven to be safe and effective in other vaccines.
The major benefits of Covaxin are:
• Safety: The vaccine is based on the inactivated virus technology and is manufactured in accordance with international requirements. It has gone through rigorous safety testing and has been proven to be safe and effective.
• Efficacy: Preliminary results from phase 3 clinical trials conducted from January 2021 showed an interim efficacy rate of 81.6%.
• Accessibility: It is available for free for all adult citizens of India.
• Support: The government of India has allocated funds and provided technology transfer to Bharat Biotech, the manufacturing company, to ensure that the vaccine is accessible to all.
• Cost Effective: It is one of the most cost-effective vaccines available, with doses starting at INR 250.
The Side-Effects of Covaxin
Like all other vaccines, Covaxin too comes with a list of potential side effects. These mild side-effects are mostly self-limiting and can disappear on their own within a few days.
• Pain and discomfort at the site of injection
• Mild fever
• Body ache
• Unexpected allergic reactions
• Difficulty in breathing
It is important to note that severe side effects are extremely uncommon, but they require immediate medical attention.
How to Get Covaxin
Covaxin is available in India for all citizens above the age of 18 years through private and government centers.
• You can visit your nearest hospital or clinic that is offering Covid-19 vaccinations.
• You will have to fill and submit a form for registration in accordance with the protocols of the private hospital.
• Register yourself on the Co-WIN portal to get your personal registration ID.
• Select the nearest vaccination center from the list provided and book your appointment, once available.
• Visit the center and fill in the required documents provided. Have the identity proof that you provided during registration handy.
• After inoculation, a download link for the digital certificate for vaccination will be sent to your registered email ID, which will have information like the vaccination site, time, and place.
Although the government has made the vaccine available for free to all citizens, various private hospitals, clinics, and pharmacies have been providing vaccinations at a cost, ranging from INR 250 to INR 1,500. It is important to get the vaccine at a certified place to ensure quality products and a worry-free experience.
Covaxin is the first indigenous COVID-19 vaccine developed by Bharat Biotech in India. The vaccine is based on the inactivated virus technology and is proven to be safe and effective. It is available for free for all adult citizens of India and has a number of benefits such as safety, efficacy, accessibility, support, and cost-effective. Although there are some common and rare side-effects, the benefits far outweigh the risks. It is important to get the vaccine at a certified place to ensure quality products and a worry-free experience.